Luscious lemon and poppyseed muffins
These moist muffins are zesty and soft with a sweet and nutty texture! Perfect for all occasions and the kids LOOOOOOVE them!
- 2 Cups Plain Flour
- 3 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sugar You can use white but we like to use golden to give that extra rich caramelised flavour
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Milk Use full fat or semi skimmed - skim is a bit thin
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable oil
- 4 Large Lemons
- 2 Tbsp Poppy seeds You can add a little more or a little less depending on what you like
- Pre heat the oven to 200c
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners
- Cut 3 of the lemons in half and squeeze the juice into it's own bowl. If you want to grate some rind for the mixture or for decoration it's best to do that before you squeeze them but you don't need to for this recipe. Scoop out any pips and set the juice aside.
- Add the Dry ingredients (Flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar) into a large bowl. Stir to combine and make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a seperate bowl combine the wet ingredients. Beat the egg with a fork and add in the milk and oil - stir.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry bowl all at once and mix quickly (before the flour gets too wet and sticks). We like to use a fork or a metal table spoon for this. The batter will be thick and lumpy, that's fine!
- Fold in the poppy seeds and the lemon juice through the batter mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups - filling them approx 3/4 full.
- Place in the oven (middle shelf is best) to bake for 25 minutes. The tops of the muffins should spring back when the are ready (We like to use a skewer or a knife into the middle of the inside muffins and if it comes out clean then they are ready!)
- While the muffins are cooling you can make the lemon drizzle. Add the icing sugar and the juice of the remaining lemon into a bowl and combine until a zesty and sweet drizzle is formed (If your lemon isn't large you can add a couple of drops of water or if it was very juicy you can add a little more icing sugar).
- Once the muffins are cooled you can drizzle them with the lemon icing and ENJOY!
- We would LOVE to see your amazing creations so please tag us on our socials!Facebook: CookncreateadelaideInstagram: Cookncreate_adelaideENJOY!