Sushi - Cook n Create style!
This recipe is one to do at home with the kids! These sushi rolls make a great meal or nutritious snack and are quick and easy!
- 1 Bamboo sushi mat You can use a rectangle of baking paper and it can be easier for little hands to help!
- 2 sheets seaweed sheets
- 100g g Sushi rice (dry weight) You can also use Arborio (risotto rice) if you need to
- 50 g Fillings of your choice
- 20 g Soy Sauce
- 20 g Kewpie mayonniase optional
- 20 ml Rice wine vinegar
- Cook sushi rice according to pack instructions
- Add rice wine vinegar to the rice whilst hot - mix thoroughly
- Place 1 sheet of seaweed on bamboo mat (shiny side down - rough side up)
- Press a thin layer of cool rice on the seaweed (Use the back of a metal spoon to press down firmly). Leave at least 1/2 inch top and bottom edge of the seaweed uncovered. This is for easier sealing later. The rice will be sticky so dip it in water/vinegar mix between presses if you need to but make sure it isn't dripping wet
- Dot some soy sauce/Mayonnaise/wasabi on the rice (if you want to - this is optional)
- Arrange fillings of your choice on the rice. Position them about 1 inch away from the bottom edge of the seaweed in a sausage shape
- Slightly wet the top edge of the seaweed (as if you are sealing an envelope. Roll from bottom to the top edge with the help of the bamboo mat (apply pressure using your thumbs as you roll so it holds together tightly)
- Cut roll into 8 equal pieces and serve. Repeat for other rolls.